Some useful information on organising your own event can be found on the Fundraising RegulatorInstitute of Fundraising and UK Government websites.

In addition the Fundraising Regulator and the Institute of Fundraising have issued guidance that aims to support charities and other fundraising organisations return to fundraising activities in a responsible way during the current pandemic. This can be found here.

Cash - Always have a plan to keep cash safe ie a secure cash box or sealed collection box/bucket. Make sure you have two people to count/transfer and stick to a well-lit busy route the bank.

Data Protection - Don't share information or data about someone without their permission. More information can be found at the Information Commissioner's Office.

First Aid - You may need to have first aid provision at your event. This will depend on how many people are involved, the type of activity they are doing, and what first aid facilities are already available at the venue. You can check with an organisation such as the Red Cross or St John’s Ambulance and they will be able to advise you. They can also provide first aid support for your event. 

Food hygiene - The Food Standards Agency provides guidelines for preparing, handling and cooking food. This ‘food hygiene for charities and events’ area on their website is useful. NHS Choices website and the local authority are also good sources of further information. Please note: If you plan to use a caterer, you will need to ensure that they have a food hygiene certificate and public liability insurance.

Health & Safety - All events need to be adequately risk assessed to find, reduce and control any risk to all those in attendance (including you the organiser). This is not a legal requirement unless the organiser is an employer, however, it is best practice to do so. Focus Birmingham cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourselves or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event organised in aid of Focus Birmingham. 

Here is some help on how to complete a risk assessment: Health and Safety Executive

Insurance - You must take adequate steps to ensure the event does not pose risk to others. Insurance is often included in the venue offering, please check. You may need to take out public liability cover for some events. This will protect you against third-party claims for property damage, injury etc. Please seek advice if you are unsure. For most private events this may not be necessary.

Licences - If your event involves the sale of alcohol and/or live or recorded music, dancing, showing of a film or performance of a play, an indoor sporting event, or any entertainment of a similar nature, you may need a licence. 

You can check whether your event will require a public entertainment or alcohol licence on the Government’s website. Check with your event venue as they may already hold a licence, but if not, you will need to apply for a ‘Temporary Events Notice’ (TEN) via your local authority. A TEN usually costs around £20 and you can begin the application process here

Prize draws and raffles - There are strict legal requirements about the organisation of raffles, lotteries and prize draws. More information about these rules can be found at the Gambling Commission.  Usually,if you are planning a raffle or other game of chance (such as a tombola) as part of an event, and tickets will only be sold at that event, you would not require a licence for this. Should you wish to sell advance tickets, or sell to people not attending the event, this would require a licence. 

Reputational risk - Please consider possible risks to Focus Birmingham's reputation. Always use reputable third-party companies. If the nature of your event may be deemed as controversial please contact Focus Birmingham for advice.

Suppliers - make sure they are a reputable company and ask to see Public Liability insurance and a risk assessment in advance of the activity.